Here are five reasons why having a dog is good for your health . . .
1. They provide unconditional love. Every dog owner knows there’s nothing better than the happiness and excitement that comes over your dog every time you get home from your work day.
2. They make your heart healthier. According to the American Heart Association, owning a dog could lower your risk of cardiovascular disease. They cite scientific studies that show a link between pet ownership and reduced blood pressure, cholesterol, and obesity.
3. They ensure regular exercise. All those daily walks are just as good for you as they are for your dog. A Michigan State University study found that dog owners are 34% more likely to reach the American Heart Association’s recommended 150 minutes of exercise per week than people who don’t have a dog.
4. They help you manage stress. Several studies have found that playing with your dog can increase levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin in your brain, while lowering the stress-producing hormone cortisol.
5. They make you more social. Part of walking your dog every morning means running into the same people along your route. And THAT’S a great way to meet people in the neighborhood and make new friends.